Back
Year : 2014 | Volume : 2 | Issue : 2 | Page : 89 - 91  


Short Communications
Evaluation of prescription pattern of anti - hypertensive drugs in urban population of Hyderabad

M. Jamuna Rani1, G. Jyothsna2, Rohit Singh3

1Associate Professor, 2&3Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacology, Malla Reddy Institute of Medical Sciences, Hyderabad

Abstract:

Knowledge of existing prescription patterns in the treatment of hypertension can provide useful information for improving clinical practice in this field. The aim of this study is to determine the prescription pattern of Antihypertensive medication in Outpatient General Clinics of a locality in urban population of Hyderabad. A Retrospective study was carried out by evaluating 300 prescriptions of Antihypertensive drugs for a period of six months from five Outpatient clinics of Hyderabad city. The study assessed prescribing patterns for Antihypertensive drugs in five classes-Calcium channel Blockers, β blockers, ACE inhibitors, Angiotensin Receptor Blockers, Thiazide Diuretics. The contents of the prescriptions were evaluated on the basis of drugs used for Hypertension and brand names were decoded to generic names using standard CIMS India and the Internet. Out of the 300 prescriptions evaluated 195 were of male patients & 105 of them were of female patients. Frequency of use of Antihypertensives as monotherapy was β blockers–22%, Calcium Channel Blockers-13%, Angiotensin receptor Blockers-13%, ACE inhibitors- 12%, Diuretics- 1%. The most commonly used combination of drugs were Calcium Channel blockers + β blockers-13%, Angiotensin receptor Blockers + β blockers-8.3%, Angiotensin receptor blockers + Calcium Channel Blockers- 5%, Angiotensin receptor blocker + Diuretic-4.6%, β blocker + Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors-3%, β blockers + Diuretic-1%, Calcium Channel blocker + Diuretic- 1%. This study shows that the most commonly prescribed drug classes involved were β blockers followed by Calcium Channel blockers, Angiotensin receptor blockers and Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors. Major limitations of this work include its retrospective nature and the inability to determine the actual patient’s adherence to therapy.

Key words: Antihypertensives, prescription, blood pressure control.

Corresponding Author: Dr, M. Jamuna Rani, Assoc. Prof. of Pharmacology, MRIMS, Hyderabad. Email: jamunadrrani@yahoomail.com.





img

Important links

adv apply rec

Open Access Journal

MRIMS Journal of Health Sciences is an open access journal which means that all content is freely available without charge to the user or his/her institution. Users are allowed to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of the articles in this journal without asking prior permission from the publisher of the author. This is in accordance with the BOAI definition of open access.

Visitor Count


798803
© 2020 Chandramma Education society . All Rights Reserved.