• Users Online: 28
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2021  |  Volume : 9  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 72-76

Awareness about new guidelines of national tuberculosis elimination program among medical college faculty


Department of Community Medicine, Malla Reddy Institute of Medical Sciences, Hyderabad, Telangana, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Prashant R Kokiwar
Department of Community Medicine, Malla Reddy Institute of Medical Sciences, Suraram, Hyderabad, Telangana
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/mjhs.mjhs_1_20

Rights and Permissions

Background: Physicians and faculty working in Medical Colleges play a major role in tuberculosis (TB) control. Their knowledge, attitude, and practices can affect the treatment and care of TB patients significantly. Objectives: The objectives were to assess the awareness about new guidelines of National TB Elimination Program (NTEP) among medical college faculty. Methods: A cross-sectional study was carried out among 95 faculties. They were given anonymous self-administered questionnaire with 23 questions. One mark was given for each correct answer. We classified correct knowledge as score >10 and poor knowledge as score <10. Yates-corrected Chi-square was used to study the association between variables and outcomes. P 0.05 was considered as statistically significant. Results: Questions about case detection rate, cure rate, incentives to private practitioner, bedaquiline, and follow-up of patients after completion of treatment were very poorly answered (<10 persons had correct knowledge). Only 17 could answer about the fixed-dose combinations, 10 about 99 Directly Observed Treatment Short-Course (DOTS) chemotherapy, and 13 about the choice of treatment in HIV-TB. Best answered questions were about the drugs used in each DOTS category, categories of DOTS, what are multidrug-resistant TB, extensive drug-resistant TB, and definition of presumptive case of TB. Overall, 58 faculties (61.1%) had poor knowledge with a score <11. The remaining 37 (38.9%) had correct knowledge with a score 11 or more. Correct knowledge was not found to be associated with age, sex, and designation but was associated with professional experience, with higher experience being associated with poor knowledge (P < 0.05). Conclusion: Majority of the faculty in the studied medical colleges had poor knowledge about new updates/guidelines in the NTEP. Professional experience was found to be significantly associated with the correct knowledge on recent updates in NTEP.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed240    
    Printed8    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded27    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal